Senior Broadcast Journalist (Social Media)
The BBC World Service is embarking on an exciting journey with unprecedented investment in digital content for Africa and your role will be critical to us in meeting our ambitions. At the BBC, we believe our mission is to inform, educate and connect the audiences from Africa to the rest of the world. BBC Great Lakes aims to deliver our journalism in a lively and engaging fashion, with a focus on interactivity and the promotion of content on social media and across all platforms.
By joining BBC Great Lakes, youll be a part of the team for a leading international broadcaster, the BBC World Service, which reaches more than 90 million people in Africa weekly on Radio, TV, Online (language sites and bbcafrica.com), Mobile and Social Media. We broadcast to Africa in seven languages: English, French, Hausa, Great Lakes, Somali, Pidgin and Swahili.
We are looking for a Senior Social Media Digital journalist with excellent written and spoken Kinyarwanda or Kirundi and English language to join the team in Nairobi; you will also be expected to work remotely with the Great Lakes radio and online team in London.
The successful candidate will lead the day-to-day running of the BBC Great Lakes social media platforms. You will be helping to grow our audience reach and engagement, as well as referrals to our content across all platforms.
Duties will include:
- Lead and develop a fresh and innovative creative approach to curating, publishing and editing stories for BBC Great Lakes social media platforms.
- Creating content for social media such as videos, gifs, pictures, Facebook lives, Instagram Stories etc.
- Managing the interactive offer across all social media platforms.
- Test and provide feedback on new social tools and train staff where necessary
- Youll be working with colleagues in the regional service but youll also be expected to produce stories that have global and pan African appeal
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Excellent written and spoken Kinyarwanda and Kirundi language skills.
- Fluent understanding of English.
- Experience of creating high quality copy and create assets (images, gifs, video) that can be used across social media channels .
- An understanding of the broader digital landscape in Africa and a proven interest in keeping up to date with developments in social media.
- Strong editorial judgment and a solid understanding of journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Proven record of using social media effectively to engage audiences.
Continuing (permanent) contract
Role based in Nairobi
Local terms and conditions apply