Freelance Production Designer
SUMMARY: Work will be performed offsite. Hours will be mutually arranged but must have at least 10 hours of daytime availability Monday-Friday. Additional hours may be available.
The Freelance Production Designer will assist in the setup, layout, and completion of a wide range of print collateral and interactive design projects including organizing client content and ideas in order to begin design process, setting up content for senior designers, asset optimization, layout or design based on established designs, creation of print specifications, pre-flight and quality check of outgoing jobs, and preparing files for press. Additionally, the production designer may directly manage and design client projects for many small or recurring projects.
- Assisting with the organization of client content including saving electronic files in appropriate formats and folders, asset optimization, reviewing client content, and ensuring content is ready for design.
- Creation of wireframes or another initial setup for senior designers.
- Creation of designs based on existing design templates.
- A meticulous layout of lengthy, text-heavy publications based on approved design styles.
- Updating/revising existing design files as indicated by designer or client.
- Creating print specs and obtaining print bids from vendors
- Prepping files for client sign off/obtaining sign off
- Assisting with quality control of design and content including basic proofreading
- Sending files to press and following up with clients and printers as necessary to ensure proofing and delivery is on track.
- Highly skilled in Adobe Creative Suite especially Adobe InDesign.
- Excellent written/English skills.
- Thorough understanding of style sheets, master pages, and other publication tools in InDesign.
- Familiarity building figures and graphs in Adobe Illustrator by plotting data.
- Comfortable planning and laying out longer layouts of 50-150 pages using approved styles.
- Highly skilled print production skills including in-depth knowledge of printing processes, paper, color, finishing, and mailing requirements.
- Quality check and basic proofreading skills including excellent written skills/attention to detail.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Basic proficiency using Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with using Wordpress back-end CMS desirable.
- Familiarity with using HTML email services desirable.
- Familiarity working in a design firm or related environment
- Ability to work independently
- Familiarity working with non-profit or academic settings desirable.