Common Media is looking for an outstanding designer to join our team in Hadley, MA. We're a full-service digital shop: We do design and strategy, development, and consulting for a healthy mix of new and long-term clients. The Designer will join the design and strategy group, working with clients to craft innovative, fun, and beautiful solutions to tricky problems. Reporting to the Design Director, this position will be primarily responsible for interactive/digital client work, but will also pitch in on internal marketing and sales work (digital and print), as needed.
Please note that only candidates with access to our office in Hadley, MA, will be considered for this position, but some remote work may be possible for the right candidate.
We hire craftspeople who care about keeping their tools sharp. We look for co-workers who are smart, get things done, and care about doing things right. We appreciate a wide breadth of experience, but the final requirements for this position are a passion for usability, design, and a hunger to keep up with the latest tools, processes, and techniques.
Responsibilities Will Include
User interface / visual design
- Design and brand strategy: Writing creative briefs and style guides.
- Exploration and research: Using type, images, color, layout, and all those other fun tools to develop visual solutions for communications challenges.
- Graphic design: On-narrative and on-brand design to generate production-ready graphics, including style tiles, full glossy page comps, and annotated mechanicals for the development team.
- Image research, editing, illustration, and library management: Finding, creating and preparing images for production; managing a library of images (for internal and client use).
- Quality control for in-process development: Reviewing and recommending solutions based on development requirements.
- Critique and skills development: Making recommendations and providing constructive feedback for other team members’ work; learning new tools and techniques; staying current with best practices, and sharing knowledge within the web design community (in- and outside the company).
User Experience Design
- Discovery: Gathering project requirements through in-person and virtual client meetings, including exercises to identify client needs, priorities, and direction.
- Research: User and client interviews; identifying solutions to similar problems.
- Information architecture: Creating sitemaps; documenting content requirements; producing content strategy recommendations.
- Wireframing: Transforming requirements into schematics, writing accompanying user stories.
- User testing: Writing and executing tests to evaluate solutions; conducting and reviewing tests and writing up testing reports
Valued (and required) skills and attributes
- BA/BFA in design, HCI, or related field and 1-3 years of related experience, or equivalent.
- Rock solid design fundamentals: Typography, color, voice, hierarchy, etc.
- Usability expertise: Respect for, and knowledge of, usability and accessibility standards.
- Process ownership: Ability to consider edge cases and lead clients through the design process, while considering areas to improve process/efficiency.
- Skills and tools development: Expertise with design tools (Adobe suite, Sketch, Figma, etc.); and the ability (and eagerness) to learn new skills on the job and stay up on trends.
- Time management: Ability to maintain a busy work schedule in a collaborative work environment, balance competing requirements for multiple clients/deadlines at the same time.