Great Outdoor/Sports retailer has a vacancy for a competent, experienced midlevel Outdoor Equipment Buyer to join their Outdoor Equipment Team. Ideal for someone with camping gear buying experience. Fast paced, dynamic environment seeking someone with experience and passion for outdoor equipment trends.
- Development and procurement of Outdoor Equipment and other merchandise categories from time to time
- Execution of the merchandise strategies in alignment with the departmental and business objectives
- New product selections in line with market research and trends
- Negotiations and supplier relationship management
- Various reporting on product and category performance
- Understanding the local and international Consumer Electronics environment and the competitors therein in order to ensure relevancy and competitiveness within the market
- Grade 12 certificate and a relevant tertiary qualification is required
- 35 years of retail merchandise buying experience is essential.
- A proven track record of achieving business results.
- A passion for Outdoor Equipment
- Working knowledge of the retail cycle and merchandise buying principles and processes.
- Understanding and experience in retail planning principles and processes is advantageous.
- A working knowledge of the latest Microsoft packages is required
- A passion for keeping up to date with local and international market trends
- The ability to remain flexible and adapt merchandise strategies to match trends as they change in our different target markets
- Proven negotiation skills
- Strong trader mentality
- Proven strategic thinking skills in order to make sound decisions together with effective problemsolving skills
- Ability to build and maintain influential relationships at various levels and across business functions
- Effective communication and presentation skills essential
- Proven planning, & time management skills
- The agility and resilience to maintain high levels of drive and initiative under pressure