Economic Empowerment Consultant
The organization wishes to hire an economic empowerment consultant to support RCK in enhancing entrepreneurship skills of targeted refugee and host community women as per its mandate.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Mid level
- Experience Length: 2 years
1.1 Refugee Consortium of Kenya (RCK)
RCK is a national NGO that was established in 1998 in response to the increasingly complex refugee situation in Kenya. RCK’s mission is to safeguard and protect the rights and dignity of forced migrants and host communities through the provision of legal aid, psychosocial services, advocacy, capacity building and promotion of inclusive governance. RCK services include:
i) Provision of legal aid services through representation in the Kenyan courts of law, police stations and other detention facilities on asylum and immigration related matters, sexual and gender based violence and custody and guardianship related cases affecting refugees and other forced migrants including the host communities; legal counselling and psychosocial counselling to refugees, asylum seekers , IDPs and host communities
ii) Advocacy and governance initiatives towards development of refugee/IDPs friendly policies and laws
iii) Protection and monitoring of refugee rights and their dignity through research, documentation and dissemination of information
iv) Capacity building for refugees, other forced migrants and key stakeholders who interact with forced migrants and host community members on a day to day basis.
RCK has secured a three-year funding in support of its activities in the area of response and prevention of violence against women and girls (VAWG). The goal of the project is to ensure better protection of refugees and vulnerable women and girls in hosting communities experiencing physical and sexual violence. This will be achieved by increasing the capacity of various stakeholders and duty bearers to prevent and respond to VAWG through structured dialogue, psychoeducation sessions, legal counseling and legal representation in courts and police stations.
The organization wishes to hire an economic empowerment consultant to support RCK in enhancing entrepreneurship skills of targeted refugee and host community women as per its mandate. The consultant is expected to work closely with RCK staff in the delivery of the project goals and objectives.
2.0 OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
The consultant shall ensure:
- Business mapping for viable enterprises for refugees and host community women in the 2 project locations
- Development of a business entrepreneurship training curriculum for refugee and host community women
- Identified refugee and host community women are trained on business entrepreneurship skills
- Development of viable group business plans for refugee and host women post training
- Disbursement of grants to the refugee and host women groups as capital for the identified businesses
- Mentorship and coaching oversight for the women engaged in the businesses
3.0 EXPECTED DELIVERABLES AND OUTPUTS
The shortlisted consultant is therefore expected to provide the following deliverables:
- Deliverable 1: Provide a work plan in line with the project objectives on economic empowerment strategy for the targeted beneficiaries within 14 days of the consultancy
- Deliverable 2: Conduct a quick and simple market analysis and develop a business entrepreneurship training curriculum based on the analysis within 30 days of the consultancy
- Deliverable 3: Pilot test the business entrepreneurship training curriculum within 60 days of the consultancy
- Deliverable 4: Conduct 2 trainings on business entrepreneurship skills for 30 women within 90 days of the consultancy
- Deliverable 5: Develop viable business plans for the trained women in groups, within 95 days of the consultancy
- Deliverable 6: Facilitate grants disbursement to the women groups trained on business and entrepreneurship skills
- Deliverable 7: Monitor, mentor and coach the initiated enterprises and document key milestones
- Deliverable 8: Document the project challenges, lessons learnt and impact stories
- Deliverable 9: Submit satisfactory monthly, quarterly, bi annual and annual consultancy reports as per the donor reporting dates and RCK operational requirements
4.0 CONSULTANCY TIME FRAME
This consultancy covers a period of 43 days spread out over 12 months. The consultancy is renewable subject to performance and availability of funds as supported by the donor.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Economics/Business Administration, Gender Studies, Development Studies, and Law with advanced knowledge in gender and micro business entrepreneurship/SME.
- At least one-year experience in economic empowerment of women especially for local groups, preferably in addressing GBV situations.
- At least 2 years of experience working on GBV, gender equality, women and or human rights especially amongst refugee and or displaced populations
- Experience working with a non-governmental organization (NGO) or in the humanitarian field is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of dynamics of the local business/market environment
- Knowledge of RCK working environment, protection needs of refugees and displaced populations.
- Experience providing business trainings to varied community groups
- Experience in partnership building and knowledge management.
- Provide certificate of good conduct.
Language: Fluency in English and Kiswahili
- Strong knowledge of Economic Empowerment of women and GBV;
- Strong capacity in working with community groups and capacity development.
- Professionalism: In-depth knowledge of and significant experience in relevant field of business entrepreneurship, strong analytical, problem solving and drafting skills. Discretion and sound judgment in applying business expertise to sensitive, complex entrepreneurial issues.
- Communication and information sharing: Strong interpersonal and effective communication (written, spoken and presentational) skills. Proficiency in English and Kiswahili is a must.
- Technology Awareness: Fully proficient computer skills and ability to use relevant software applications, in particular information databases, internet/intranet services, library sources, etc.
- Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
- Managing Performance: Ability to supervise, coach, mentor and develop community members as required
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others;
6.0 REPORTING LINE -
The consultant shall report directly to the Senior Programmes Officer with guidance from the Executive Director.
He/ She shall work closely with Assistant Project Officers – Legal & Psychosocial, with peer lines to APOs, Nairobi, Dadaab and Garissa.
S/he will refer any matters of the contract to Finance and Admin Office.
S/he may be assigned interns, volunteers, Community Based Counselors, translators and monitors.
How to apply:
7.0 SUBMISSIONS OF THE PROPOSALS
To submit your proposal, send a brief cover letter explaining their qualification and motivation for the position; and how their experience is relevant to the position via the link below by Wednesday, 12th December 2018. The vacancy will remain open until filled. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.*