Fashionomics Africa Launching in South Africa 2016
On Thursday December 1st the Gender, Women and Civil Society Department (AHGC) team and the consultancy firm working on the Fashionomics Africa project attended a working session held in Johannesburg. Around ninety people from different companies and institutions, but mainly designers, entrepreneurs and founders of fashion businesses attended the meeting.
The meeting started with the AHGC team and the consultants presented the results of the Feasibility study for the Fashionomics Africa platform.
Then, the meeting had a session on ‘Advancing Africa’s Fashion Industry through Partnerships’ moderated by AfDB’s Vice-President and AHGC - Geraldine J Fraser-Moleketi that included a panel of speakers including:
- Lindi Ndebele-Koka, Chief Director at the Department of Arts and Culture (DAC)
- Lucilla Boyzen, Founder of South Africa Fashion Week (SAFW)
- Michael Lawrence - SA Fashion Council, Board Chair
- Samuel Mensah – Founder of KISUA
The session also had the following fashion professionals as floor discussants:
- Shaldon Kopman, Fashion entrepreneur and founder of Naked Ape
- Anita Stanbury, SA Fashion Council, Executive Director
- Firkite Addis - Fashion entrepreneur, Ethiopia
- Safietou Seck - Fashion entrepreneur, Senegal
The event also had a presentation by a Brand manager of Dutch retailer Vlisco as well as a meeting with Michael Lawrence - SA Fashion Council Board Chair